Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spring Detox Recipes


It has been a long winter in Minnesota and now that the weather is warmer, I can feel my body just craving the freshest foods it can get, which means it is time to break out my spring detox recipes. I have been absolutely loving this Spring Green Smoothie recipe from Tom and Ali, featuring the ever-so-healthy collard green, along with apple, pear, ginger, lemon juice, and mint. The recipe calls for kiwi, which I don't have on hand at the moment, so I've been substituting peach or mango with delightful results. What I especially like about the Spring Green Smoothie is that it does not have any dairy or dairy substitutes, which feel a little heavy to my body in this warmer weather. I threw in 10 soaked almonds yesterday to give it a little protein boost, and also added my probiotics and Vitamin C powder for an immune boost. I even got Miss Fiona (now 15 months) to drink up. Getting collard greens into my picky eater is a major accomplishment!

For light lunch or dinner fare, this Greek-style Chickpea and Quinoa Salad from The Brassica Diaries with mint, kalamata olives, and cucumber is so refreshing and soon to become a weekly staple on my menu due to how easy it is to make. In case you've never tried quinoa before, it is a gluten-free grain packed with protein and B-vitamins, making it a superfood in my book. FYI: it tastes best if you give it a rinse before you cook it.

Next on my list of favorite detoxifying food ideas: BEETS. I've been shredding raw beets in my food processor and adding liberally to salad greens. I've also been adding them to smoothies. I just found this Cherry Beet Detox Smoothie and can't wait to try it out.

By the way, have you heard of FruitShare? They deliver the freshest in-season organic fruit to your door and they are truly awesome. The Minnesota Association of Naturopathic Physicians is partnering with FruitShare to help raise funds to support Naturopathic Medicine in Minnesota - woo hoo! You can help by using the code "MNANP" when you order from FruitShare online. (Be sure to mention that Dr. Orchard referred you, because the doctor who raises the most money wins a free box o' fruit.) I am seriously going to order these cherries now so they get delivered at their peak freshness. What are you going to get to put in your spring detox smoothie?

1 comment:

Beth said...

That salad sounds amazing and so easy...stuff we have in our kitchen and on the table regularly as it is, but the combination sounds delectable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails