Sunday, February 6, 2011

Healthy Cupcakes! What?

My daughter just celebrated her first birthday (hooray!) and in my attempt to find the PERFECT healthy cupcake recipe, I found a few wonderful gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free recipes here and here from Lauren via her Healthy Indulgences blog. The secret ingredient: beans, aka legumes. Yes, beans! The recipes use black beans for chocolate cake or white beans for vanilla cake, to make the cake moist and...well, healthy. Sounds crazy and, I admit, I have yet to actually make these cupcakes because I have been so busy with work...and getting ready for the birthday party...and crafting the birthday gift (inspired by this origami peace crane mobile and the Cranestorm Project at Wet Paint). So, she didn't eat cake for her birthday, which she probably would not have wanted anyways, but the concept is so fantastic that I can't wait to make healthy cupcakes for Valentine's Day and I can't wait to share the recipes with you. If you are like me, the incessant ads and media buzz about Valentine's Day has visions of cupcakes and chocolates dancing in your head. You may even be wondering how to make it through without over-indulging or straying from a healthy diet. Well, it turns out that these recipes adhere to most of my patients' anti-inflammatory diets, with the exception of cocoa/chocolate, but you can easily substitute carob. If you make either recipe before I do, please leave a comment with your results and whether you loved them or not.

And, since we are on the topic of cupcakes and chocolate, my latest obsessions in the gluten-free world are Petunia's Pies and Pastries, a gluten-free vegan baker in Portland, Oregon, and this "Valentine's Box o' Chocolate" giveaway by Kinnikinnick Foods, North America's leading provider of gluten-free goods and snacks, valuing $50.

Here's to eating healthy cake and enjoying it, too!

2 comments:

Kate said...

My kiddos have bday's coming up (one in april and the other in july)...i think i just might try these cupcakes!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!! You are awesome!!! ~Kate H.

Jen said...

Ooo, did you make them?? I'm so intrigued!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails